Kata Containers is an open source project and community working to build a standard implementation of lightweight Virtual Machines (VMs) that feel and perform like containers, but provide the workload isolation and security advantages of VMs.
The Kata Containers project has six components: Agent, Runtime, Proxy, Shim, Kernel and packaging of QEMU 2.11. It is designed to be architecture agnostic, run on multiple hypervisors and be compatible with the OCI specification for Docker containers and CRI for Kubernetes.
Kata Containers combines technology from Intel® Clear Containers and Hyper runV. The code is hosted on Github under the Apache 2 license and the project is managed by the OpenStack Foundation.
- Open source community support
- 6 months of software maintenance
- Hotfixes & patches for the latest release
- open source project roadmap
- Enterprise-class support with defined SLAs and private support channels
- 24 months of extended software maintenance
- Hotfixes & patches for all supported releases
- Work with Hyper product team on roadmap priorities
- Certified infrastructure, OS, storage and networking
- Full set of technical training
- Dedicated support channels with highest priority
- Private code repo with indepdent maintenance
- Separate hotfixes & patches for private repo
- Customize your own roadmap
- Purpose-built for your own infrastructure
- Technical training based on your own release